Nasi Dagang is a traditional dish from Terengganu, a state in Malaysia. It is a popular breakfast option and is often served with a side of fish curry. The key ingredient in this dish is glutinous rice, which gives it a unique texture and flavor. In this recipe, we will show you how to make Nasi Dagang Terengganu from scratch, including the rice, fish curry, and all the delicious garnishes.
For the rice:
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the fish curry:
- 500g mackerel or tuna, cut into steaks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
For the garnish:
- Hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Fried onions
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sambal belacan
Preparing the rice:
1. Rinse the glutinous rice and white rice together until the water runs clear.
2. In a large pot, combine the rice, coconut milk, pandan leaves, and salt.
3. Cook the rice mixture over medium heat until the coconut milk is absorbed and the rice is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and let the rice steam for another 10 minutes.
5. Fluff the rice with a fork and remove the pandan leaves before serving.
Preparing the fish curry:
1. Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger until fragrant.
2. Add the fish curry powder and cook for another minute.
3. Add the coconut milk, water, and tamarind paste to the pan and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer the curry for about 15-20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
5. Season with salt to taste.
Serving the Nasi Dagang:
1. To serve, place a scoop of the rice onto a plate.
2. Top with a piece of fish steak and spoon some curry over it.
3. Garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs, fried onions, sliced cucumbers, and a dollop of sambal belacan.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!
Here is the approximate nutritional information for one serving of Nasi Dagang Terengganu:
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
Please note that these values may vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the portion size.